Monday, April 4, 2011

Teaching with technology


Thinking about teaching with technology can be so overwhelming because there are so many possibilities.  I spent hours today looking at the app store for my iPad and learning more about using my iPad and the apps I have.  We have classroom sets of iPads and every teacher has one so, I want to use them and use them effectively. I have discovered that the iPad is by far the most accessible technology that I can put in the kids’ hands.  It’s one thing for me to use the technology and quite another for the kids. 
Today I was specifically looking for applications that can help me move the kids forward in math.  There are lots of math games but they are all basically skill and drill applications.  That’s all well and good because kids need to master basic skills and the apps are motivating (not a flashcard) but I want problem solving or the possibility to be creative.  After 3 hours I’m still looking.  This is not the best use of my time.  I need to consult with my collegues.

1 comment:

  1. So far this has been one of the biggest criticisms of the iPad in the classroom. It really is a great content consumption device but really lacks on the content creation side.

    As for problem solving using math and physics concepts, you might look at Crayon Physics:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crayon-physics-deluxe/id300830915?mt=8

    ReplyDelete